Thursday, February 18, 2010

Week 2 Day 5 - SFL Weigh in and CrossFit Session - + Recap

NOTE: i think this is my confessional post, so its long!!!!

So today was a pretty good day. I still think one of the best parts of this prise is the people we meet... the SFL people, the Crossfit people and the K100.... wait where are the K100 people... are they avoiding us... scared of us????

So today's SFL weigh in was good (as expected really... OK that means I might have peeked as the scales a lot this week, but I swear it was for science!!!). My weight is kinda weird to report... but I am a numbers person so...

My weight is down 6 pounds since I started SFL to 225 (this is amazing to me). This also represents a 12.5% reduction in my body weight since I decided I was too ...FAT. How you say, read on....

MY weight when I moved back to Saint John (sans wife and kid.. missing them) was 257 pounds. I could not believe I had let myself get that heavy, so that's when I knew I was mentally ready to make myself healthier (or at least lighter). So I thought gym at UNBSJ at least twice a week and eat less bad foods.

My plan was succeeding to some extent, but doomed to fail. i cut out sugar from my tea (was double double, now single milk only) and made a conscious effort to not buy snacks at Tim's most of the time .. often buying instead a tea biscuit. Then I avoided a lot of my normal bad foods with a just say no attitude and will power. Well I was doing OK, and got down to 231 pounds about 2 weeks ago (when I won this contest).

My reason for entering the contest was that I did want to lose weight and knew that eventually, the plan I was on would yo yo back out of control. I needed to learn how to eat right, how often to eat, and what choices to make on foods I did not think were contributing to my weight issues (OK, it was a problem).

Second, I have always wanted to be a "exerciser" except for one thing. I don't exercise. I have had access to a "gym" free for about 19 years in the last 20... and went maybe 10 times in that time frame. The problem is I walk into a gym and say "now what" and never felt like the gyms really cared about my health rather than wanting my money--- not to mention the "free" gyms did not provide and "assistance" with knowing what you should do and how you should do it to be safe.


So from 257 to 225 is a beautiful reduction of 32 pounds so far. My teaching jackets that were bought to be just the right fit (snuggish perhaps) are so lose on me its not funny. I know I've lost a lot more than 32 pounds of dead weight and replaced much of it with muscle bring my weight reduction to 32 pounds (reduction sounds better than loss as I don't want to find it ever again). Today was my third session this week.... so tomorrow I go for an extra, and I am very tempted to go in for yet another on Saturday... I think that means I'm loving it (ohh i miss that jingle a little but not too much)


By the way, Crossfit is amazing as a place to get fit. A trainer is always there and it is clear that they care about your fitness, health and safety above everything else. they also don't let you down. They push you to get it right, do it often and in general want to be better. they don't let any weakness you have stop you, but rather address the issue of "how do we as a team make that weakness a strength). I am loving it. Today I did pull ups (my second least favorite thing) and push ups (my least favorite thing) and managed to do an OK job. It will get better.

As I finish a long blog :GO LISA GO!!!!! 30 SITUPS TODAY, NO RING... GO GIRL GO...

No comments:

Post a Comment