Sunday, February 21, 2010

Crosfit from He**

OK, so I'll start today (its Sunday as I was very busy the last two days) by summarizing last weeks Crossfit in general as it was the first full week of workouts (I went to Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday).

Monday turned out to be benchmarks, and as indicated in an earlier blog I was happy with my scores, but also think I might have been able to push a little more. Next time we see these, they will have to lift me off the floor as I really want to do as many as I can. Learnt that the scoring system will not necessarily be "total improvement" but rather total final ability, so the "fitter" teams will win the Crossfit component. Not sure as a mathematician I like this much as the K100 team seem less randomly chosen that the listeners and definitely I think we out weighed them originally about 2 to 1 (but then again, does that mean they can do more sit ups?). But then again if we all improve, aren't we all winners......MAYBE..

Tuesday was push ups (they kill me), floor wipers (like these) and rowing (love this) in a 10 to 1 countdown, but you can read that in another blog.

Thursday was push ups (OK, burpies) and pull ups (also kills me) so I found it hard and know I was even struggling to finish our 3 rounds when regulars were doing 5 rounds. I need to start making myself try 10-20 push ups daily (and eventually get off my knees) but my upper body strength is still not great, but improving - have I ever mentioned the knot in my arm muscle that seems to never want to go away .... perhaps an internal bruise instead?).

So it seemed to be getting a bit harder and harder, then came Friday - MY WORST NIGHTMARE.... RUNNING

See I don't like running.. especially in public... especially in shorts. Might be vain, but I'm FAT (its the word I prefer to use.. its honest).... and fat people 1) don't look good in shorts, 2) don't look good running and 3) don't run well. So being told we were going to run 500m around the block [so in front of all the people , up the road by K100, down King Square by the bus stop (and all those people) and down by United (where I did work once)... not enjoyable]. Not only that, but between each of 5 rounds, we did 15 thrusters which were very tiring in themselves. I remember muttering to my co-runners

"thin people have no idea how hard this is on fat people, they never had this much extra weight"
"I can manage three laps," (said while walking a bit actually) "but not 5... they must want to kill me"
"this is ridiculous.... this is a PRIZE"

BUT... credit to Crossfit, they were there running with us (well we all are crossfit now) and they encouraged us. They stood there when we were doing thrusters and recognized when we had to lower the weights a little, and on the 5th lap AMY [not wilkins] (what a great person) ran right along beside encouraging me, giving me advice that worked, and did not let me walk too much.....

And I ran 2.5km and did 75 thrusters of different scales...me, I did it.

I mean I was shocked afterwards. I did it.. I did struggle to breath right for the next hour, but that's my bad breathing technique... but I ran it, I lifted it, I thrusted it...I CAN DO THIS AS THE WEEKS WILL KEEP TICKING BY...

No comments:

Post a Comment