Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Two Days of Crossfit (oh why) Crossfit (oh my)

So two sessions so far this week and for each one I remember thinking the same thing on my way to the center.

WHY OH WHY AM I GOING... JUST TO EMBARRASS MYSELF?

the first work out was called Lumberjack 20 and for me it consisted of

20 Dead lifts (115lbs)
Run 500m
20 KB swings (35lbs)
Run 500m
20 Overhead Squats (45lbs)
Run 500m
20 Burpees
Run 500m
20 Pull ups (Chest to Bar)
Run 500m
20 Box jumps on tire
Run 500m
20 DB Squat Cleans (75lbs)
Run 500m

OK so for someone that hates running, I did manage to make it through this on in under 40 minutes (by 3 seconds I think) and actually did not feel like quitting too much (the burpees of course made me want to quit). I was saying at the start that I would never be able to complete this (careful not to say can't) as I once ran 5 laps with work in between and through pinching a nerve in my hip lost feeling in my leg for 3-4 weeks. Since then I had restricted myself to running one lap except twice. Once recently I ran one lap at the start and once at the end, and last week I managed a three lap workout with squat cleans involved. Seven.. i think constable Mike is on drugs...

Amazingly though I always knew I could run that one more lap and managed a time I was happy with. sure others were like 40% faster than I was, but I'm not them. I'm gold, OLD FAT me.... and I did manage to finish it. I still get personally annoyed at the time with all the "you can do its" and "come on Jeff"s as I feel they are saying "of course your slow and fat... you old %^$%^%#$%#$"

Well after that work out Mike and I had a friendly conversation about Brupies. I would love to have seen 20 push ups and really push myself to do them, but Burpies.. Well I feel (and still do) they do not serve a good purpose. Mentally they only seek to depress people and that I disagree with fundamentally.

So today what does Mike put up but 100 BURPIES... oops "he whom doth protest to much".... And on top of that after 60 seconds and every 60 seconds thereafter you much skip 20 times (or 10 doubles but I need to get my regular skipping back in check first) before resuming your burpies. A definitely race the clock workout. So driving to the center i was thinking

WHY OH WHY AM I GOING... JUST TO EMBARRASS MYSELF?

sound familiar..... But I made a promise to myself to push hard. To not get only 2 burpies per minute but rather to get at least 5 per minute in and 10 the first minute (probably a personal record for me). And push I did (I think sweat was flying off my by minute 5). Well 15:30ish I think it was, and I managed to finish. After three minutes I was at 25 burpies done and after 6 minutes finally managed to get my skipping going better so I was getting over 30 seconds of burpies per minute in (had to get mad at the rope and really speed pull it down each swing). Of course the others all finished before me, but lets be honest finishing first is not always good ;)

ps: ending classes this week at UNB Saint John - god I love this city and campus soo much and really hope I might get a chance to get back here this fall for another year, two, three or life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment