Monday, April 12, 2010

The Big Day: Recap

So Saturday was the big day..... The honorable GREEN team of lovely loyal listeners finally stood toe to toe with the serpentine like SILVER team of perky persistent personalities from K100.....

OK, that sounds corny.....

So Saturday was the big day......us listeners finally get to do an all out until you drop workout against the K100 employees and see just how many pull ups, sit ups, squats and pull ups each person can do. It was looking to be a fun day.

First of all, to have a bit of fun I showed up in some very professional looking bandages on my face, wrist, ankle and a crutch thrown in for fun. Not convinced that we fooled anyone, but Jay seemed concerned for me... in the end they enjoyed a good laugh. That is right MIKE... professional looking!!!!

Well pull ups were first and K100 Silver lost the flip to have to go first. I somehow don't think they were as fired up as we were to win. Despite, however, one being too sick to attend and at least half the others having bad colds + injuries, they did perform well. Our team watched and debated strategy. Do we try lower bands for a better multiplier..... hmm multiples of 0 push ups don't look good. Or do we stick the same band we started with and just put up large numbers. Well each of us made our decision. I originally managed only 7 with a 4 band (pitiful now that I think about it) and this time managed 41 with a 3 band (harder band that off sets less weight). I was annoyed at myself for not meeting my goal of 50 but I really had a hard time gripping the bar. It was my grip that failed me this day and not my pull (although that was not far behind). I just have to remember, however, that 41 is a lot more than I had done before. My hats off too to the SFL crew (especially Kat) for counting for me. When your giving it your all, it gets harder to count your numbers.

Next was sit ups and I was determined to breath some fun into this contest. I knew I could do 100 and I hoped I could manage 200. Well on this event Green team came to dominate as much as possible as well knew Steph would be on fire. Boy was K100 host steph on fire. 1000 (thousand - not a typo) sit ups... WE kinda all eventually left her to keep going and moved on. But our team had no one under 400 and I managed 450 with a little "sit up" based dancing thrown in for good measures.

Next was the squats and I was sure I could do 500. Well unfortunately I let my mental state stop me at 300... It really is all mental and not physical. Could I have done more physically - YES.. did I - no... my brain said no. But wow did others decide to play this one. Three members (Karleen, Parris and from K100 Silver Deb posted I believe over 1150 squats. That's hard to even image how long that took and how hard they were mentally focusing to get it done.


Finally, push ups. Its kinda weird. I managed to count to 60 push ups (I say it that was because you really don't focus on how many but just that next one). for an exercise I detest, I was quite proud of my performance.

That's it for this post and I'll post one more after the banquet - a synopsis so to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment